Worship Services at 11:00 a.m.
Emmanuel's Church Council
The Emmanuel Church Council for 2016 is as follows:
President - Sandi Petke
Vice President - Harold Briski
Treasurer - Kathy Petke
Secretary - Loralee Petersen
Deacons are: Chuck Peterson, Lois Himes and Vita Gosse.
Trustees are: Harold Briski, Doug Missling and Sandi Petke.
Kaj Petersen is the Financial Secretary.
call us at 715-267-6142,
or write us at
Greenwood, WI 54437.
Emmanuel Lutheran's Church History
Just why the first families settled here will possibly never be known, except that this country had been spoken of in Norway as the land of "milk and honey". Those who came often said that they would return to Norway. Yet they did not. It is unknown when the first Norwegian set foot in this territory. We do know that June 15, 1884 the first known church service was held at the home of Julius Sorenson in a log house (now the James Peterson Farm). In the 1880's there were quite a few Norwegians here, although they were not all the people. The first Americans, the American Indians, were here and many were very friendly and helpful.The pastor at this first service was Rev. Staale Berntzon from Colfax, whose parish included this area. He had been going to Greenwood for some years and Julius Sorenson figured that this would afford an opportunity for the sacraments to be received by those desiring them in the Longwood area. After morning worship, Rev Berntzon went to Greenwood for an afternoon service. He came every four weeks and continued his ministry until 1885. There were four families present at the first recorded service and several children were baptized. Previous to this time in 1882 a family had taken their son to Little Norway Congregation between Black River Falls and Melrose for baptism. That was a five day trip, with transportation furnished by two mules and a lumber wagon. Another family had taken their child to Eau Claire in 1883 for baptism. The first confirmation class consisted of one member in 1890.
It was quite a hardship to get together with poor means of travel, but they did so meeting in homes until the school house was built. Services were then moved to a newly built town hall in 1894 and it was used until 1902. After ten years of meeting with no particular organization, eleven families organized themselves into a congregation. In June 1894 Pastor Berntzon was present when a constitution was accepted that was developed by members of the congregation. In 1896 the acre that the church now stands on was purchased from the Withee estate. A dwelling just west of this acre was sold to the congregation for $500 and after remodeling it became the place of worship until the present church was dedicated in 1911.
Even though the congregation had the house in which to worship it still was not a church and feeling grew that a church should be built. A building committee was chosen and they secured pledges and cash from members and businessmen in Withee, Owen, and Greenwood. In addition a sum of $1000 was borrowed from the Greenwood State Bank; the Ladies Aid donated $400. People of the congregation were given the opportunity to work out their pledges toward the building of the church. Church furniture and the church bell were ordered; the altar rail and pulpit were built by C. Madsen in Withee. Records indicate the total cost of the church to be $2397. The dedication of the church took place in 1911 and was conducted by Rev. Eng of Black River Falls, WI.
~~This background was obtained from individuals present in the early beginnings of Lutheran activity around Longwood.~~